Saturday, August 3, 2013

Winner, winner, steak dinner

Here is Keziah's first, full "self serve" dinner.  I made steak, fresh green beans, and crash hot potatoes.  I set aside two chunks of steak, about 4 green beans, and 2 potatoes, all without salt, but they had other seasonings (garlic, pepper, rosemary, parsley). She enjoyed this meal more than any other so far!  





 I love this picture!  She kept trying to shovel more and more in without figuring out how to handle what she already had.  




 To get her used to a sippy cup, I put a little bit of filtered water in there for her to sip on.  Daddy helped her a little, but she was starting to get a hang of it!

2 comments:

  1. I have such a fear of my daughter choking I haven't been able to give her solid foods like this yet. I give her small pieces and she begins to gag and my husband and I freak out. We give her the little puff cereal snacks and she just figured out how to munch and then it melts. How did you get your daughter to figure out how to chew? Or how do I get over the fear of choking? Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gagging means they're breathing, right? ;) They have the gag reflex which is a good thing ... they will naturally push the food forward, to a more comfortable place in their mouth, so that they are able to maneuver it around. Keziah definitely gags but I know she's just working it out, so it doesn't scare me!
      And your mouth has enzymes that actually help the food to disintegrate (hence the melting puffs). She isn't actually consuming the foods, just learning to hold, textures, etc. If you're nervous, research it a bit and you'll be more confident. ;) The Baby Led Weaning is a great place to start. Good luck!!

      Delete