Thursday, November 8, 2012

Dreams of a dreamer

My husband, Josh is a dreamer, that's for sure. He talks about such optimistic, hopeful things. According to him, he will have his own construction business, possibly a software engineering business, we will be millionaires, our house will be paid off in the next 10 years, we will move to Tennessee and own lots of land with lots of animals and our dream log home.
I love hearing his dreams, though I have a very hard time taking him serious some times.

Me?  Ha, we'll when it comes to big dreams, I'm pretty pessimistic.  In my mind, we're lucky to have good jobs, we are lucky to have a home to call our own, let alone making enormous mortgage payments on it each month, and becoming millionaires? Ha! Only if we won the lottery.

The other evening, Josh and I were discussing his dreams and I asked him  Babe, what makes you sooo optimistic and me so opposite?  His answer was quite humbling, actually. He reminded me that dreams are what keeps us living, what gives us more motivation for the day. He told me "yeah, I probably won't ever get my dream motorcycle, if my job continues doing this well, I wouldn't leave to start my own company. But it gives me hope. Us hope."  Of course, then I began crying AND felt like a jerk. I began apologizing for being so horribly opposite of him and telling him that I love hearing his dreams and even if I might not take him seriously all of the time, I need to hear them because they carry me through, too. I love knowing that my Husband does not want to settle with where we are now. Yes, we are blessed and I praise God for what we have,  but it's so comforting knowing that my Husband wants more for us and is willing to work harder for something even though it may never come to reality.

Then he reminded me that one of my jobs as a Mother will be Dreamer.  Josh reminded me that perhaps one of my hardest lessons to learn as a mom will be dreaming ... and for baby's sake.  He said that if one day our baby girl wants to fly, I better sit down with her, build the both of us wings and try flying. I cannot tell her that it is impossible.  She needs her mama to be her support and when she shares a dream, I cannot let her down.

Talking with Josh about dreams just opened my eyes to a different part of life. Yeah, maybe more than half of dreams remain only that, but if we don't at least have dreams, then what do we have.  So, I'm going to hold my Husband's hand and support him and his dreams. I'm going to pray that God shows us favor and have faith that it will become bigger than our wildest imagination.  It's my job as a a Believer, a Wife, and a soon-to-be mama.


1 comment: